Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Trouble With Giving Advice

I love being married. I absolutely do. And sometimes I get a little bit enthusiastic about others joining in on the fun of married life...
We had just finished Spanish class and my friend and I went to the bathroom to put on our makeup (Benefit #1 of Marriage: You can go to class without makeup because who really cares who sees you-- your husband isn't there and so it doesn't really matter). In the bathrooms of the Smith building you walk in and there's like a lounge area with a bench, a mirror, and a shelf. Then there's another door that goes into the bathroom area. So my friend, M, and I are in the lounge area doing our makeup just chit chatting about this and that... and somehow we get to talking about marriage. Then I, all too enthusiastically tell M, "You should get married! C'mon M, there's so many good things about marriage.. It's just wayyy more fun than being single."

She agreed. She was like, "Oh yeah! I should! Why in the world am I still single? I should just get married!" (Keep in mind that we are completely joking about this.)

"Yeah M, I mean, just get married. 'Who cares if I've only known you for 10 minutes! Let's get married!' You should start proposing to guys because sometimes they take forever to decide they want to get married and what not. Just start proposing to them."

We're still totally kidding and laughing about the whole thing. And then...

This girl (also in our Spanish class, she's from like- Albania and we'll call her O) comes out of the bathroom part and (we've been there for like 10 minutes and had no idea that we weren't alone) and she looks dead at me. "Do you have any idea what the divorce rate at BYU-Idaho is?!?! Do you even KNOW what it is!!!?? It's like EIGHTY PERCENT!!! So MAYBE you should look at that, and THEN tell her to get married right away! Everyone just GETS MARRIED to people they don't even know and then they ALL end in DIVORCE!!!"

"Oh, um, well, we were totally kidding, O... And I'm sure it's not 80%... that's seems a bit high."

"OHHH NO- it's EIGHTY PERCENT... And you know what? Everyone I know that got married young is like, 'DON'T get married!!! Enjoy being single!!!'"

"Oh, well, I actually love being married, but my husband and I didn't meet up here, we've known eachother for years. And I definitely was kidding with M, I wouldn't be serious about marrying a guy you met 10 minutes ago." (O leaves.)

Wow. It was pretty intense... So, in the end, now M and I joke about that all the time. Pretty funny morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment